Sunday, September 12, 2010

Why Diversity

Recently someone emailed me and asked me what I meant by Diversity in my website. The following was my answer

Thank you for your question. Let me answer it from three different perspectives:
1. I believe that by diversity of ideas and governance is how we reach viable solutions to problems dealing with inclusionary housing, fair wage negotiations and two of our most pressing issues right now in Berkeley as it relates to the Rent Board:
A.How do we keep affordable housing in our City
B. How do we retro-fit the current rental units to avoid loss of life and property in a manner that involves all parties and is to the benefit of all?

2. When we know that according to the last census, 41% or thereabouts of all our citizens are minorities, there is no full representation in the Commission. An audience member asked one of the current board members one time why there were not more minorities or why one was not selected as an interim appointment. The answer was that they could not find a viable, qualified candidate. Diversity is a reflection we want too see in our elected officials and that means a connection to several communities within our city.
3. I believe that an effective commission needs to be inclusionary of people from all districts in Berkeley. True progress is based in the passion and commitment of our actions and that commitment and passion is not the sole realm of a slate, a circle of friends or any political affiliation. 

As a Progressive Democrat that has fought for LGBT, minority, disabled and veterans rights, I believe that diversity of experience has also a role to play.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I want to continue to add my voice and have a say in future development plans, affecting positive change on all issues, having a voice in local politics and representing communities by having a seat at the table and making a difference in the decision making process. I believe it is not only the right, but also the responsibility of interested and capable citizens to become engaged in local government policy by advising elected officials on important community-related issues. Serving on a Board or Commission is an excellent way to make a personal and tangible contribution.

Pages

Followers

Blog Archive